Signs & Symptoms for Depression
- You have an ongoing sense of hopelessness or feel helpless
- You are always tired You’ve experienced changes in your sleeping (e.g. insomnia or sleeping too much) and eating patterns (severe weight loss/weight gain)
- You have difficulty concentrating or remembering things
- You no longer enjoy usual pastimes, events, or friends and have lost interest You thoughts are always dark and negative – about yourself or events and people in your life
- You get upset or angry much easier than usual You find yourself abusing alcohol or other drug, or participate in reckless behavior
Causes & Risk Factors For Depression
- Lack of social support
- Recent stressful life experiences
- Family history of depression
- Marital or relationship problems
- Financial strain
- Early childhood trauma or abuse
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Unemployment or underemployment
- Health problems or chronic pain
What can I do to prevent / reverse depression?
Continue reading “Depressed? How to tell, and mood-lifting lifestyle tips”
mental and physical health
Breathing can help prolong your life. Well, especially when you combine it with meditation.
In an age where we are constantly multi-tasking, plugged in, inundated with images, facts and emails and enduring constant over-stimulation, it’s no wonder we’re exhausted and a little frayed at the edges each day.
And when you have added stress, it can affect your body in many ways both physically and mentally. So whether you are going through a difficult time in your life or are struggling with an ongoing mental health issue, adopting mindfulness could be just what the doctor ordered.
Continue reading “5 minutes of this a day can keep the doctor away”
It’s nearly unavoidable in this modern-day, ADD lifestyle we all lead. Most of us never allow ourselves a moment to breathe. And that affects us in so many ways: It affects how we eat (stress eating!), how we digest, how our cells manage nutrients and contributes to aging, causes high blood pressure – among so many other potentially harmful maladies. So take a moment today and give yourself the green light to relax and regain control over your life.
And if one day isn’t enough for you, Oprah and Deepak Chopra are conducting another 21-day, free meditation sequence (https://chopracentermeditation.com/). It is only day three, and meditations are available for up to five days after they are initially posted. Twenty-one days is a substantial amount of days to kick back and rediscover your core of peace and healing.
Namaste, and may you find stillness, peace, and joy in your day today!