How to skin a tomato!
- To blanch tomatoes, start by boiling some water
- Once boiling, turn off the stove, taking the pot off the heat, and put the tomatoes in
- After 10 minutes, or once the tomato skins start to split open, put them into some cool water. I used room temperature water (no such thing as cold water out of the tap here in the Arizona summer season!)
- If the skin hasn’t already split, you can easily pierce it with a knife
- Be careful when skinning your tomatoes, the little bit of liquid between the skin and the flesh is still pretty hot! When piercing the skin, roll the tomato around a few times in the water to cool off the newly exposed tomato flesh
And that’s how to get a naked tomato, skinned and ready for sauce or soup.
Me? Write a cookbook?
Well, after deciding a meal my husband made was too pretty to eat and took out my new studio lights to take pictures – I was hooked. I have awakened a new passion the past few days to design recipes and artistically and visually capture the love I have for food, cooking, and a SOUL (seasonal, organic, unprocessed and local) lifestyle.
Want to take this journey with me?
Continue reading “So unexpected (plus a recipe)”
Signs & Symptoms for Depression
- You have an ongoing sense of hopelessness or feel helpless
- You are always tired You’ve experienced changes in your sleeping (e.g. insomnia or sleeping too much) and eating patterns (severe weight loss/weight gain)
- You have difficulty concentrating or remembering things
- You no longer enjoy usual pastimes, events, or friends and have lost interest You thoughts are always dark and negative – about yourself or events and people in your life
- You get upset or angry much easier than usual You find yourself abusing alcohol or other drug, or participate in reckless behavior
Causes & Risk Factors For Depression
- Lack of social support
- Recent stressful life experiences
- Family history of depression
- Marital or relationship problems
- Financial strain
- Early childhood trauma or abuse
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Unemployment or underemployment
- Health problems or chronic pain
What can I do to prevent / reverse depression?
Continue reading “Depressed? How to tell, and mood-lifting lifestyle tips”
In Arizona, a new law was passed this last month that allows for any Arizona resident to be able to request lab tests without an order from their medical provider.
Lab test results usually influence more than 70 percent of recommended medical therapies and other health decisions, according to Elizabeth Holmes, CEO of Theranos Wellness Centers in Arizona. They tell you a lot about what’s going on inside of you, which has some wonderful applications for a proactive patient. But there may be a few things to be wary about if you go it alone for lab testing.
Here are some things to think about:
Continue reading “What you should know about self-ordered lab tests”