How to skin a tomato!
- To blanch tomatoes, start by boiling some water
- Once boiling, turn off the stove, taking the pot off the heat, and put the tomatoes in
- After 10 minutes, or once the tomato skins start to split open, put them into some cool water. I used room temperature water (no such thing as cold water out of the tap here in the Arizona summer season!)
- If the skin hasn’t already split, you can easily pierce it with a knife
- Be careful when skinning your tomatoes, the little bit of liquid between the skin and the flesh is still pretty hot! When piercing the skin, roll the tomato around a few times in the water to cool off the newly exposed tomato flesh
And that’s how to get a naked tomato, skinned and ready for sauce or soup.